Discovering the True Secret of Happiness | A Tale of Joy and Contentment

Discovering the True Secret of Happiness | A Tale of Joy and Contentment





Once upon a time, in a quaint village near Baghdad, lived a humble shoemaker. Though he was poor, he was always filled with happiness, untouched by sorrows and worries. Every day, from dawn until dusk, he worked diligently to provide for his family.

 

As he worked, the shoemaker sang cheerful songs that echoed through the village. The villagers, drawn by his joyous melodies, often gathered around his little shop to watch him mend shoes and to bask in the happiness his singing brought.

 

Next door to the shoemaker resided a wealthy man. He possessed everything one could desire, yet he was perpetually unhappy. Night after sleepless night, he lay awake, consumed with fear that someone might steal his wealth. This anxiety often kept him awake until the break of dawn. Each morning, the shoemaker's spirited singing disrupted his restless slumber.

 

The rich man’s frustration grew with each passing day. "With every song the shoemaker sings, my headache worsens!" he lamented. "I can't endure another sleepless night. This noise must cease!" For once, his thoughts veered away from his riches. "It’s unfortunate I can’t buy sleep as easily as I buy everything else," he mused. Determined, he devised a plan to silence the shoemaker’s songs.

 

The next morning, a knock resounded at the shoemaker’s door. It was the rich man. "Why would my wealthy neighbor visit me?" wondered the shoemaker. "He doesn’t need his shoes mended; he can simply buy new ones."

 

The rich man, however, did not come for shoe repairs. He wanted to discuss money. "Tell me, how much do you earn in a year?" he inquired.

 

The shoemaker laughed. "A year? I have no idea. It's not worth keeping track of. I don’t earn enough to bother."

 

"Well," the rich man persisted, "how much do you make in a day?"

 

"Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little," the shoemaker replied. "If I manage my money wisely, I always get by."

 

The rich man tried again, "What is your fee for fixing shoes?"

 

"A penny or two," the shoemaker said with a smile. "It's not much, but I am always happy."

 

"You are the happiest man I have ever known," the rich man remarked. "Here! I have a surprise for you. You've earned it with your cheerful songs." He handed the shoemaker a heavy bag full of money. Then he walked home, smiling to himself. "Now I will finally get some sleep!" he thought.

 

The shoemaker, thrilled, hurried inside, shutting the door behind him. He took the bag to his work table and began counting the money. "One hundred darhams!" he exclaimed. "I’ve never seen so much money at once! If I’m wise, this could last a lifetime. I won’t tell anyone, not even my wife."

 

When the villagers came to visit, they noticed the closed door. "What’s wrong?" they called. "We’re here to watch you work."

 

Upon hearing their knock, the shoemaker quickly hid the money under his bed and opened the door. But he did not sing. His thoughts were consumed by the money. Would it be safe under the bed? Where else could he hide it? He moved the money bag under the bed’s cover. "No one will look there," he assured himself. Still, he couldn't focus on his work, fearing his wife might find the money.

 

Eventually, he took the bag outside and hid it in the chicken coop. Meanwhile, the rich man enjoyed a long, peaceful nap. But the shoemaker had a sleepless night. "I’ve never seen you so unhappy," his wife remarked. "What’s wrong?"

 

"Never mind," he replied, thinking he’d sleep once he found a secure hiding place. He retrieved the bag from the chicken coop and hid it behind the door. But morning came, and the shoemaker had not slept a wink. "It hurts me to see you like this," his wife said. "Please, tell me what’s the matter."

 

The shoemaker revealed the money bag. "We are rich!" he told his wife. "I should be happy, but I’m not. I’ve never known such worry."

 

His wife advised, "Take the money back to the rich man. I don’t mind being poor. I miss your singing and our simple, happy life."

 

The shoemaker eagerly took the bag of money and knocked on his neighbor’s door. The rich man was startled awake. "I’m sorry, but I can’t keep your one hundred darhams," the shoemaker said. "I want my happy life back. I want to sing and sleep. I’ve always been poor, but I’ve never been unhappy."

 

Soon, he was back at his work, singing joyfully. "I’ve found the secret of happiness," he declared. "It lies in hard work and contentment, not in wealth."

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.